Telegram Users’ Sensitive Data Exposed on Darknet

Telegram has exposed database containing the sensitive info of millions of its users on the darknet.
news - Telegram Users’ Sensitive Data Exposed on Darknet

Telegram has exposed database containing the sensitive info of millions of its users on the darknet through data leakage. A database of Telegram users phone numbers and unique user IDs has been posted on a darknet forum. 

news - Telegram Users’ Sensitive Data Exposed on Darknet

It s unclear exactly how many users’ data was leaked while the database file is about 900 megabytes. 70% of leaked accounts came from Iran, while the remaining 30% were based in Russia.

The issue was first reported by Russian-language tech publication Kod.ru on Tuesday. Telegram has acknowledged the data leakage to Kod.ru. While, Telegram declared that at least 60% of the database is outdated. 

This is not the first time Telegram users’ phone numbers being leaked. Back in August 2019, Hong Kong users reported on a vulnerability that exposed their phone numbers, allowing Chinese law enforcement agencies to track protesters’ identities.

In response to the vulnerability, in September 2019 Telegram introduced a feature allowing users to show their phone number to nobody at all. 

Have your say!

0 0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.

Sign Up

ajax-loader